An important, must read.
Guest Opinion; Dr. Tim Ball
Scientists lost the scientific script somewhere in the 20th century. The major loss involved the fact that correlation is not cause and effect. It was lost for several reasons:
- Failure to know or consistently apply scientific methods;
- Lack of ethics as the end justifies the means;
- Methods and process are not taught or emphasized;
- People are more willing to bypass or ignore everything for funding;
- Too many are willing to subjugate or exploit research for a political agenda;
- Achieving results to advance a career is more important;
- A person gets caught up in Groupthink as they go along to get along;
- and scientists are unwilling to look to themselves to stop the rot.
All of these reasons were on display in the leaked emails from the Climatic Research Unit (CRU).
An example of the problem of correlation occurred recently on TV screen when a…
View original post 1,765 more words
A completely dried-up marsh in south-central Kansas. Experts called the drought of 2012 the worst drought in the US in more than 50 years. Photograph: Jim Reed/Corbis
Climate change: some reasons for our failures – the guardian
Academic Robert Manne knew evil human beings were responsible for catastrophic global warming 25 years ago.
“..primarily through the burning of fossil fuels human beings were responsible for potentially catastrophic global warming.”
“And yet, since Kyoto, greenhouse gas emissions have risen very steeply. The level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere—280 parts per million before the industrial revolution—is now 400 parts per million.”
Two minor points Manne glossed over:
- OVER the past 15 years air temperatures at the Earth’s surface have been flat while greenhouse-gas emissions have continued to soar. In other words, there has been no atmospheric global warming since 1998 despite a substantial increases in green-house gas emissions.
- A US Government NOAA report found the summer drought of 2012 was not caused by manne-made global warming but by natural variations in the weather. Manne’s emotional lead photo of a drought ravaged, dried-up marsh thus rendered alarmist propaganda. The NOAA study was released in March 2013. Manne’s article published 22 July 2013. Plenty of opportunity for due diligence. A second NOAA paper submitted to the American Meteorological Society also found the US record heat-wave of 2012 was due to natural variation and not caused by manne-made carbon dioxide emissions.
Hot off the heels of the AP scandal involving the U.S. Department of Justice’s seizure of Associated Press phone records. AP slaps back with a fact checking exercise of State Secretary John Kerrie’s trip to ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia. http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130527/DA6HGEEO1.html
KERRY on climate change: “We’re below the Kyoto levels now.”
THE FACTS: The 1997 Kyoto Protocol, which the Clinton administration signed but never won ratification for, called on the U.S. to cut its greenhouse gas emissions 6 percent from 1990 levels. Although a natural gas surge and economic woes have helped the U.S. lower emissions, they were still up some 9.5 percent from 1990 to 2011, the last year for which full data is available. Kerry also said the country met a target to cut emissions by 17 percent from 2005 levels by 2020. Government data shows about a 7 percent reduction from 2005 to 2011.
International Energy Statistics By Region: