Shock News : Green Energy Not Fit for the GridPosted: February 9, 2014
“Giving society cheap, abundant energy would be the
equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun.”
– Prof Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University
Germany’s wind and solar power generation came to a standstill in late 2013. More than 23,000 wind turbines ran out of wind and most of the one million photovoltaic systems ran out of sunlight. For a whole week, coal nuclear and gas-powered plants generated an estimated 95 percent of Germany’s electricity.
When electricity demand peaked at the height of the recent heatwave in Southern Australia, the total power output from the fleet of wind farms across Victoria and South Australia was almost zero. Solar panels worked at their peak for a short time during the heat of the afternoon, but waned as the sun moved on and smokiness increased.
At dinner time on any still, cold winter night, when all suburban stoves, lights, TV’s and heaters need power, solar panels sit in the dark, powerless. And the idle wind turbines are probably drawing power from the grid for heating, lubrication, electro-magnets, hydraulics and start-up.
Despite the expenditure of trillions of dollars on conferences, green energy subsidies, research, carbon taxes, carbon trading, solar and wind subsidies, plant construction, additional transmission lines and back-up power, wind and solar only produce a derisory share of world energy (“zero” if rounded to the nearest whole number).
We keep hearing how “research” will solve the key green energy problems, but no amount of research can alter the fact that solar energy will always be variable, intermittent and dilute.
Even if solar panels collected 100% of the solar energy that fell on them, and no dust or snow ever covered the panels, the output is always variable and intermittent, with the rise and fall of the sun, the long night and the variable clouds, snow and dust.
Similarly the wind is variable, often too weak, sometimes too strong, and even when it is just right, there may be no demand for that surge of power. Germany has 23,000 wind turbines – they produce an average of about 17% of their installed capacity; on some days, they harvest nothing except subsidies (and they are good at that).
And crucially, both wind and solar energy are very dilute, so large areas of land are required to collect significant energy and to build the spider-web of roads and transmission lines required to connect to each other and to the grid. Solar panels rob green plants underneath of their sunlight. Wind turbines annoy neighbours with their noise, devalue their properties and slice up eagles, bats and migrating birds. These are very significant human and environmental costs never mentioned by green energy disciples and promoters.
No amount of research can change the key intermittent and dilute nature of green energy. We should stop wasting ever-increasing amounts of money on pointless research.
Even if we invented magic batteries (small with massive capacity, low cost, no energy losses and everlasting life), the green energy plants would still need to spend over 60% of the energy they generate to charge the batteries in order to produce 24/7 power.
There are places when green energy is appropriate and useful, and people should be free to use it at their own expense. But for grid power, it is not fit-for-purpose.
All of this explains why Green Germany is now using more coal than it did in 2009 and its power supply is more expensive and less reliable.
|World Energy Production||Cumulative|
|Carbon Fuels (Oil, Gas, Coal)||87%||87%|
|Wood, Waste, Cow Dung||2%||100%|
|Wind, Solar||Too embarrassing to report||100%|
(estimates – sources vary and none reports everything).
Viv Forbes is the Chairman of the Carbon Sense Coalition. He is a geologist, mineral economist, “political gadfly”, part time company director and full time sheep and cattle breeder. He has a Bachelor Degree in Applied Science (Geology).
H/t to Andy Semple – Andy’s Rant!
Land needed to replace all Coal, Natural Gas and Oil based electricity generation
The Renewable Energy Vs. Fossil Fuel Subsidy Myth :
Global Energy Investment Vs. Energy Production :
See also :
- Green dream on ice as ‘coal frenzy’ grips Europe and renewables lose their attraction | The Australian
- Wind fails test as demand soars | The Australian
- Green power was useless in this heatwave. Praise coal – and the “gold-plating” Gillard attacked | Herald Sun
- Europe’s Green Energy Basket Case Is Tim Flannery’s Dream | CACA
- Godfather Of Global Warming Alarmism James Hansen Admits Renewable Energy Is A ‘Nice Idea’ Though Useless | CACA
- Shock news : UN Carbon Regime Would Devastate Humanity | CACA
- Establishing Propaganda Is Vital For Climate Action | CACA
- “In Searching For A New Enemy To Unite Us, We Came Up With The Threat Of Global Warming” | CACA
Wind / Solar Related :
- Shock News : Industrial Wind Is A Fraud Of Enormous Consequence | CACA
- Shock News : Policy To Increase Wind Farms Across East Australian Grid “A Dangerous Strategy” | CACA
- Judge Rules Wind Turbines Cause “Irreparable Harm” to Health & Issues Immediate Injunction | Waubra Foundation
- Let’s copy Germany: 23,000 wind towers make 7% of its electricity to stop 0 degrees of warming
- Wind farms — are 96% useless, and cost 150 times more than necessary for what they do « JoNova
- A Token Gesture To The Folly Of Green Madness | CACA
Environmental Damage Caused By Renewable Energy:
- In China, the true cost of Britain’s clean, green wind power experiment: Pollution on a disastrous scale
- Abound Solar’s Toxic Waste Highlights Enviro Hypocrisy on Pollution
- PEER REVIEW: Toxic health risks associated with rare earth metals extracted for use in solar PV’s and industrial wind turbines.
- PEER REVIEW: Lessons in wasting money: Use more wind and solar and… emit just as much CO2
- The dirty secret of Britain’s power madness: Polluting diesel generators built in secret by foreign companies to kick in when there’s no wind for turbines – and other insane but true eco-scandals
- Lessons in wasting money: Use more wind and solar and… emit just as much CO2 « JoNova
- Woodland Heists: Rising Energy Costs Drive Up Forest Thievery
Energy Related :
- Obama’s Energy Chief Hails Loss Of Taxpayer Billions A ‘terrific success’ | CACA
- Despite Climate Campaigners Efforts, Germany’s New Coal Boom Reaches Record Level | Watts Up With That?
- Green Revolution? Germany’s New Coal Boom Reaches Record Level | (GWPF)
- New German ‘superminister’ Gabriel defends subsidies cut to rein in renewables costs | Business News
- MUST READ : Germany out in the coal | Columnists | Opinion | Toronto Sun
- Revealed: The EU’s great green U-turn on policy that is sending energy bills soaring across the continent
- Germany’s Massive Renewable Energy System Puts Out Only 7% Of It’s Rated Capacity in November!
- Europe Pulls The Plug On Its Green Energy Future
- MUST READ : The EU green hell
- The price of moral-vanity: A catalogue of Green economic disaster unfolds across Europe
- German Pols Now Demanding Energy Welfare For Its Citizens – 800,000 Have Had Their Electricity Cut Off!
- Australian emissions reductions target is undone by one week in China « JoNova
Quote source – The green Agenda